ISED has published Issue 2 of RSS-247, Digital Transmission Systems (DTSs), Frequency Hopping Systems (FHSs) and Licence-Exempt Local Area Network (LE-LAN) Devices, which replaces RSS-247, Issue 1, dated May 2015.
This was published on 23 February 2017, after which there is a six month transition period. After this applications for certification must use RSS-247 Issue 2.
The changes include:
- new section 3.3: state the requirement for emissions that fall within restricted frequency bands to comply with the provisions in RSS-Gen, General Requirements for Compliance of Radio Apparatus;
- section 5.4(b): reinstated the former e.i.r.p. limit for frequency hopping systems operating in the band 2400-2483.5 MHz, which employ a hopset with less than 75 channels;
- section 6.2: add a clarification to ensure that emissions that fall within restricted frequency bands shall comply with the provisions in RSS-Gen;
- section 6.2: state the measurement method for power and unwanted emission limits for licence-exempt local area network devices and digital transmission systems operating in the 5 GHz band;
- section 6.2.1 and 6.2.2: add a provision to allow original equipment manufacturer (OEM) devices installed in road vehicles to operate in the band 5150-5250 MHz with an e.i.r.p. limit of 30 mW or 1.76 + 10 log10B, dBm, whichever is less stringent;
- section 22.214.171.124: clarify the requirement for devices operating in the band 5150-5250 MHz, which have bandwidth that falls into the band 5250-5350 MHz;
- section 126.96.36.199 (b): permit the requisite “for indoor use only” notice for equipment operating in the band 5250-5350 MHz to be included in the user manual;
- section 188.8.131.52: apply the requirement of e.i.r.p. at different elevations for equipment operating in the band 5250-5350 MHz to outdoor fixed devices only;
- section 184.108.40.206: limit e.i.r.p. of OEM devices installed in road vehicles to 30 mW or 1.76 + 10 log10B, dBm, whichever is less stringent;
- section 220.127.116.11: allow equipment, other than outdoor fixed devices, operating in the band 5250-5350 MHz having e.i.r.p. greater than 200 mW to either comply with the e.i.r.p. elevation mask or to include a firmware feature to reduce their e.i.r.p. permanently should it be requested by the Department;
- section 18.104.22.168: allow equipment operating in the band 5650-5725 MHz with bandwidth overlapping the band 5725-5850 MHz to meet the emission limit of −27 dBm/MHz e.i.r.p. at 5850 MHz;
- section 22.214.171.124: modify the unwanted emission limits for LE-LAN devices and DTSs operating in the band 5725-5850 MHz;
- section 126.96.36.199: add a transition date for certification of LE-LAN devices and DTSs operating in the band 5725-5850 MHz to have unwanted emissions comply with either provisions in section 5.5 or section 188.8.131.52;
- section 6.2.4(b): add a transition date for manufacture, importation, distribute, lease, offer for sales, or sales of LE-LAN devices and DTSs operating in the band 5725-5850 MHz which do not comply with provisions in section 6.2.4(b); and
- Annex A: delete the word “pre-installation” to clarify that the verification of e.i.r.p. compliance at different elevations for devices operating in the band 5250-5350 MHz needs to be done at the time of certification (before installation); the verification of compliance must be submitted with the test report for equipment requiring certification.